Legal services that suit
When people think about succession or estate planning, they often think we are just talking about Wills. The truth is that this is just the tip of the iceberg, and there are very good reasons why the Will Kit you picked up from the newsagent or post office could well sink your well-intentioned plans. The reality is we are talking about much, much more.
An appropriate succession plan will take into account your specific circumstances and will be tailored to meet your intentions and the needs of those you intend to benefit from your estate. No two people are alike, so you shouldn’t accept a one-size-fits-all solution. The effective and successful intergenerational transfer of wealth is not a simple form filling exercise. It wasn’t simple to accumulate the wealth, equally it is not as simple as some may think to transfer it to your loved ones.
At Bedfords Legal we meet with you to discuss your circumstances and wishes so you can be assured that your estate plan does what you want it to.
We can advise and assist you with all succession planning matters, including:
- Structuring of simple, complex or special purpose testamentary trusts
- Special disability trusts
- Mutual Will agreements
- Enduring Powers of Attorney
- General Powers of Attorney
- Appointment of Enduring Guardians
- Superannuation, including binding death benefit nominations (BDBN)
- Estate planning with succession of control of trusts and companies
- Business succession planning
- Preparing statements of wishes
- Preparing statements of reasons
- Minimising risk of family provision claims
When a loved one has just passed on it can be difficult to know what to do next, or even just where to start.
What if you can’t find their Will?
Do you need to apply for Probate, Letters of Administration, or can you avoid the process entirely?
They kept their finances very close to their chest – how do you find out what assets are actually in their estate?
Piecing together the strands of someone’s life when they aren’t around to answer questions can be a difficult process.
At Bedfords Legal we guide you through this process, and the bureaucratic web that often accompanies it, and help you give effect to their last wishes.
We can advise and assist you with all estate matters, including:
- Deceased estates and estate administration
- Deeds of Family Arrangement (often necessary to fix poor planning of the deceased)
- Deceased estate litigation including making or defending family provision claims
BUSINESS & COMMERCIAL
‘Business’ is a simple heading, but is deceptively broad. As a simple summary, if you need help with your business or a company is involved in it then it is safe to say it probably falls within this category. At Bedfords Legal we have seen and done (just about) it all before, and work collaboratively with other professional advisors such as accountants, financial planners, bankers and insurance brokers to ensure the best possible outcome in every circumstance.
We can advise and assist you with all business and commercial law matters, including:
- New business structuring, including:
- Joint ventures
- Shareholder agreements
- Investor agreements
- Unitholder agreements
- Intra-group relationships
- Asset protection
- Tax considerations
- Buying and selling business interest including:
- Business assets
- Company shares
- Partnership interests
- Restructuring existing businesses and corporate groups
- Business succession planning
- Commercial leasing
- Corporate governance
- Supply and service agreements
- Loan and finance agreements
- Personal property securities
- Business names
- Terms of trade
- Privacy policies
- Asset Protection
PROPERTY & DEVELOPMENT
For many people buying or selling their home is the biggest transaction they will ever enter into. Naturally you want to make sure everything is perfect, from the presentation of the house through to the agent you choose. We understand this, and believe that the contract should be just as perfect. At Bedfords Legal we take you right through the contract and explain the whole conveyance process so you fully understand exactly what you are signing up for.
Whether you are buying your first home or your 17th, an existing house or off-the-plan unit, our seasoned property team have you covered through initial offer to exchange to settlement.
We can advise and assist you with all property matters, including:
- Buying and selling residential and commercial property
- Residential, commercial and mixed-use developments
- Property management
- Owners corporation (body corporate) advice and agreements
- Joint ventures and development agreements
- Project management agreements
- Option agreements
- Expressions of interest
- GST and stamp duty
Enough about us, how can we help you?
Sign up to our newsletter and be the first to know!
Phone: (02) 6285 2900
Level 6, 1 Bowes Place, Woden ACT 2606
PO Box 780, Woden ACT 2606
Mon - Fri: 9am - 5pm
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Bedfords Legal would like to acknowledge the Ngunnawal people and Ngunnawal Country. Bedfords Legal acknowledges the Ngunnawal people as Traditional Custodians of the ACT. Bedfords Legal also pays our respects to other Aboriginal Nations who have cultural connections to the ACT region and surrounds, including the Wolgalu, Ngarigu, Gundungurra, Ngambri and Yuin. We pay our respects to Elders both past and present.